After posting a photo of my hospital bracelet to instagram, a bunch of you guys asked what was wrong so I decided to make this video because I owed you an explanation. I am completely fine now, but that was definitely scary!
The red bracelet, for those of you don’t know, is to alert the doctors and nurses that you have an allergy so that they don’t administer any medicine or food that could potentially hurt or kill you. It’s one of the very first questions they ask when you arrive in the emergency room: Do you have an allergy?
One of the times I went to the emergency room in seventh grade, although it was clearly written on my chart, ALLERGIC TO APPLES, the doctors almost fed me applesauce with my medicine. I remember they got the applesauce, opened it up, and I almost ate it because I was too shy to say I was allergic. Isn’t that crazy?! How could someone be too shy to say no to something that could kill her?! My mom said, just as I was about to take the applesauce, “Wait, aren’t you allergic to that?” And then the doctors apologized and obviously took the applesauce back. It just goes to show that (a) doctors make mistakes and (b) I was an idiot when I was younger.
Have any of you guys ever had an allergic reaction?